BROOMFIELD BOWLS CLUB

Portland Road, Birmingham, B17 8LS

www.broomfieldbc.com

This Website

is provided by

HISTORY

1900-1929

1903 – (20/08/1903) “Tip at the lower end of the field” The Secretary reported that he had arranged with Woodward & Mills, Balsall Heath contractors for the new Holly Bush Inn, to allow them to tip their rubbish and earth from the excavations at the lower end of the field so far as required to fill up the pond and level for tennis courts and the Secretary also reported receipt of a cheque of £5.5.0 on account for the priviledge. A proposition by J.T.Smith seconded by W.Dorman the Secretary's action was approved.

1905 – The front cover of a Smethwick Cricket Club handbook advertises “bowls”.

1906 – (01/08/1906) “Bowling Green” On a proposition by A.Edwards seconded by J.Pigott it was decided to obtain particulars of estimated cost of converting the waste patch at the lower end of the field into a bowling green and further tennis courts.

1906 – (03/09/1906) “Bowling Green” The Secretary reported that he had seen Mr F Gill and Mr E Boorer who had promised to take levels of ground and prepare estimate of cost as soon as possible.

1908 – (10/08/1908) “Bowling Green & Tennis Courts” A scheme of forming a bowling green and two additional tennis courts at lower end of field was discussed, and after going into estimated costs it was decided to proceed with the work, and upon a proposition of Mr Dorman seconded by Mr J.Pigott it was decided to accept the tender of J.Hunt & Sons, Waterloo Road for rough levelling the ground at cost of £12.10.0 and of R.Standing for finding the turf and labour for laying the green and courts @ 6d. per square yard. The club to find the soil necessary to go next to the turf, but R.Standing to spread it. R.Standing also to top dress the greens when laid, inclusive in the price of 6d. per square yard. A letter was read from Messrs J.Hunt & Sons offering to deliver the soil to go next to the turf @ 9d. per load. The total cost of levelling, soil, R.Standing, top dressing, fencing and extras = £81.

1908 – (26/08/1908) “Soil for bowling green” On proposition by H.Felton seconded A.Fletcher it was decided to accept a quotation of J.Hunt & Sons to deliver soil required for the bowling green at 9d per load.

1908 – (13/10/1908) “Bowling Green” A discussion took place regarding the shape of the outside border of the bowling green, and it was ultimately decided to have a raised border all round same.

1909 – (22/04/1909) “Bowling Green” A discussion took place regarding providing further sets of bowls and it was ultimately decided on proposition by A.Baker seconded by T.Roberts to leave the matter in the hands of Mr Tootell who promised to report as soon as he considered the extra bowls necessary.

1909 – (02/07/1909) “Bowls” On proposition of T.Tootell seconded by T.Roberts it was decided to purchase two sets of bowls and two jacks.

1910 – (14/10/1910) First captain of the bowls section is elected at the main clubs AGM – Mr T Tootell.

1910 – (02/05/1910) The following were appointed to act on sub-committee: T.Tootell, J.H.Woodhouse, G.H.Dorman, A.Roberts and E.Brant.

1910 – (23/05/1910) “Bowling Handicap” On proposition by T Tootell seconded by E Brant it was decided to place a list on the notice board for competitors names for Mr Tootell’s prize. On proposition by E Brant seconded by H Felton the meeting thanked Mr Tootell for so kindly providing a prize for the Bowling Handicap.

1911 – (03/04/1911) Captain of the bowls section – J H Woodhouse
1911 – (21/04/1911) “Bowls” On proposition by A J Baker seconded by W D Dorman it was decided to have old woods re-turned.
1911 – (30/08/1911) “Bowls” On proposition by H Felton seconded by T Tootell it was decided to recommend the members at the AGM to give a medal each season to the winner of the Club Scratch Competition.
1911 – (05/10/1911) “The Use Of The Pavilion” Was allowed on the successful working of the Bowls Section for a supper to be held on 9th October.

1912 – (26/03/1912) “AGM” Winners of the Bowls Handicap were P R Blake and A Roberts. Captain of the bowls section – J H Woodhouse.
1912 – (01/04/1912) “Pavilion” On proposition by W.F.Fletcher seconded by W.Middleton it was resolved to proceed with the demolition of the old pavilion and the erection of a man's room, tool house and stable as shown on plan prepared by Mr F.Gill. The larger scheme for the erection of Bowls and Tennis pavilion to be deferred until the committee consider they have sufficient support to proceed with the same.
1912 – (29/04/1912) “Tool Shed & Bowls Shelter” On proposition by J.H.Woodhouse seconded by J.D.Vickers it was decided to place the contract for the erection of the tool shed etc. with Cleavers for £80.0.0. less £3.0.0. allowance for the old pavilion, at the reccomendation of executive committee.
Canon Astbury proposed and A.W.M.Boneham seconded that Mr Woodhouse's kind offer of framework for bowls shelter be accepted, and permission be given the bowls section to erect same by private subscription amongst the members, and also to rect a partition for tennis members providing they find necessary funds to cover the extra cost.
1912 – (04/06/1912) “Tool House” It was reported that the Tool House etc. was nearing completion and was quite satisfactory. It was hoped to have the Bowls Shelter completed in the next week.
1912 – (30/10/1912) “Green Extension” A proposition by J.H.Woodhouse, seconded by J.T.Smith it was resolved that the green be extended only one yard in the direction of the Drill Hall.

1921 – Earliest available record of the Club Championship: Winner – F Sadler, Runner Up – J.H.Shermer.
1922 – Club Championship Winner – A.W.Bradley, Runner Up – H.Smith
1923 – Club Championship Winner – H.Whitelegg, Runner Up – F.Sadler
1924 – Club Championship Winner – J.W.Smethurst, Runner Up – H.Merritt
1925 - Club Championship Winner – J.W.Smethurst, Runner Up – R.M.Boyd
1926 – J.W.Smethurst wins the Club Championship for the third consecutive year, Runner Up – R.M.Boyd
1927 - Club Championship Winner – R.Richards, Runner Up – T.Carter
1927 – W.H.Taylor wins the “American Tournament” (2nd R.M.Boyd, 3rd R.Field, 4th J.Bradshaw).
1928 - Club Championship Winner – W.H.Taylor, Runner Up – R.Field
1928 – A.Jewell wins “Mr J.E.Swan’s Prize” (Runner Up – R.Field)
1929 - Club Championship Winner – A.Parr, Runner Up – J.H.Shermer